Most students will encounter recitation in a math class during their academic career. How can math professors make the experience more meaningful? MAA Teaching Tidbits blog has 5 ways educators can enhance the student experience during recitation.
- Focus on getting students to do the work instead of doing it for them.
- Incorporate group work into your sessions.
- Get students to communicate what they understand to each other and to the class.
- Have students relate mathematics to their own experiences.
- Cultivate an environment where failure is ok and experimentation is encouraged.